Thursday, July 22, 2010

Welcome!

Hi! First of all, thank you for visiting this blog. This is really a special thing for me, as it is the crossroads between my two greatest musical passions; singing and music theory. Of course, what would make it even more special is if I could impart this passion on other singers, so that they could experience their performances on numerous different levels.

So, here's how this site will work. Each Friday, I will post a piece that I have analyzed. The analysis may or may not include Roman numeral analysis, form analysis, rhythmic analysis, style analysis, etc. I will, on purpose, not show all of the completed analysis in each post; that would completely contradict the purpose of this blog and make me into some kind of music theory dictator. I'm just a college student with a passion for music, and so my hope for this blog is that people who view this site will submit their own analysis and thoughts on each piece. This way, we can (almost too) completely analyze each piece, and hear different opinions and thoughts on the same thing, which can be more resourceful than one person publishing their thoughts.

I'll pick the pieces from the standard art song and aria repertoire. Each month, I'll post a commonly sung aria.

If there are any pieces you would like to post, please let me know. What I hope will happen is that the viewers of this site will end up picking the pieces, and I'll just post them with some analysis of my own, leading to a really awesome informed discussion.

So, the first piece will be posted tomorrow! I'll start with something deceptively simple (try and guess what it might be... :-) )

Best,

Alex

1 comment: